"The day of six Billion"

Written By Sandra on Sunday 12 October 2008 | 09:40

I was wondering around virtual sea and I ran on information that the 12th October is "the day of six billion" - on that day United Nation decided that it would be approximate day when our world's population reaches six billion. It's nothing very special about all that, but when I saw that this six billionth person was from Sarajevo, Bosnia, it returned me to 1987 - the year which was very important for Zagreb (Croatian capital).
In 1987, 14th Universiade (it is International sport event organized for university athletes) took place in Zagreb, and its' motto was "World of youth for world of peace". I guess that was the reason why they proclaimed the five billionth person on this planet from Zagreb - it was Matej Gašper (born in July, 11th). This little note shows indeed big relation between Croatia and Bosnia - both are ex Yugoslav countries, both had horrible war and both have "n" billionth inhabitant...



12th October is the date when Christopher Columbus reached the shore of San Salvador in Bahamas, although he thought that he had found the way to East Asia.






Well, when I speak about 12th October, I couldn't miss the world of music - famous Italian tenor Luciano Pavarotti was born on that day, and well known rock n' roll pioneer Gene Vincent died on the 12th October. At this moment, all rock fans reading this post are singing ... Be-Bop-A-Lula, she's my baby...
SHARE

About Sandra

2 comments :

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Hi Sandra, interesting post, sometimes we forget what when and why; it is good to be reminded from time to time.
Thank you for stopping by and I hope the fog lifts over the weekend!

Anonymous said...

drop some ec here.would you mind to xchange link with me?